Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Caramel popcorn


Today I thought I'd share a recipe.  Why?  Just for a change and because I love to bake although I don't know if this technically counts as baking! 

When I was a kid my Mum would make us caramel popcorn for movie night it was so delicious.  She no longer has the recipe and over the years I have tried several recipes but none measured up until I tried this amazing recipe I pinned from A Farmgirl's Dabbles.  Here is my version of the recipe:


Caramel Popcorn (oven baked) 


 Ingredients
1c  unpopped popping corn
1c  butter
2c  brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/2c  glucose syrup
1/2tsp  baking soda





Preheat oven to 120 degrees celsius
Pop the popping corn and spread thinly over two baking trays.

Combine the  butter, brown sugar and glucose syrup in a saucepan and put over medium heat until sugar dissolves.  Then boil for around 5 minutes (until caramel reaches firm ball stage).

Remove from heat and add in the baking soda (the caramel will bubble up so be careful).

Pour caramel over popcorn and mix so popcorn is evenly coated.  Place in the oven for 45 minutes stir the popcorn and caramel every 15 minutes to ensure that your popcorn remains evenly coated.
Popcorn can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week (if it lasts that long).

No comments:

Post a Comment